Yoga Is More Than a Pose or For the Skinny
Confession: I hated yoga the first couple of times I tried it. I’d see someone else with their head between their legs and I’d try to do the same and next thing I know, I’ve pulled a muscle. I just didn’t get it until a powerful experience in Bali opened me up to yoga. I should mention it also had me releasing hella grief and ugly crying in several classes.
Yoga was a huge part of my healing process during one of the darkest moments of my life. When I got back to the States, I immediately went looking for classes. One of the first things I noticed is that there weren’t people who looked like me. Also, m
any of the myths I had about yoga were also not true either, which is why I really wanted to bring someone on the show to talk about the benefits of yoga and debunk some of these myths.
I met Saisha Lacon of Thick Thigh Yoga when we both spoke at the Black Joy Summit and loved everything about her. Saisha proudly represents the power and ability of our thicker sisters in the yoga community and is constantly debunking the myth that size matters when it comes to yoga.
In this episode, Saisha and I discuss our yoga journey, the benefits of yoga that go beyond getting into shape, and dispels a few other myths about yoga and why you should consider adding it to your life.
Info You Hella Want to Catch:
- Where to start if you’re new (35:14)
- Debunking the ideas of why people can’t do yoga (07:53)
- Myth: Yoga is not a real workout (10:25)
- Different types of yoga classes (10:54)
- This one thing will ruin your yoga practice (12:55)
- The other side yoga beyond the moves (16:53)
- The meaning behind the pose names (20:00)
- Benefits of yoga at any size (28:11)
- The idea the yoga goes against the traditions of Christianity (32:30)
- What yoga pose do you always dread doing? Why do you think that is?
- Write about the first few times you did yoga. Where were you? How did it make you feel? Etc…
- Listen to the sound of your breath, and feel your breath move in and out of your body. Listen to the sounds around you. Describe how you feel, just in this moment.
- Thick Thigh Yoga – Follow Saisha and learn about her upcoming classes